Vegetarian minestrone soup packed with veggies like celery, carrots, green beans and spinach and simmered in a flavorful, Italian seasoned tomato broth. Use your favorite noodles in this minestrone soup recipe and pack in the protein with kidney beans! Delicious with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and a side of garlic bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 medium (or 2 small) yukon gold potatoes, diced into ½ inch cubes (about 1 cup diced potatoes)
- 1 (28 ounce) can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups spinach
- 4 ounces elbow noodles, small shells or fusilli, gluten free if desired
- Freshly grated parmesan
- Garlic bread or crostinis
-Add olive oil to a large pot or dutch oven and place over medium high heat. Add in diced onion, celery, sliced carrots and potatoes. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until onions soften.
-Next add in crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, vegetable broth, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Cover and cook on medium low for 10-15 minutes.
-Next stir in the green beans, spinach and pasta. Cook uncovered for 8-12 more minutes or until pasta is al dente and green beans are tender. Pour into a bowl and serve with parmesan cheese on top. You can also serve with garlic bread, crostinis or crackers.
For more tips for making this soup see the original article here.