This all-time favorite is the perfect meal to gather with family and friends.
2 pounds ground beef
2 cloves garlic, chopped
One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup masa harina
One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
One 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
Shredded Cheddar, for serving
Chopped onions, for serving
Tortilla chips, for serving
Lime wedges, for serving
- Place the ground beef in a large pot and throw in the garlic. Cook over medium heat until browned. Drain off the excess fat.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne. Stir together well, cover, and then reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If the mixture becomes overly dry, add 1/2 cup water at a time as needed.
- After an hour, place the masa harina in a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup water and stir together with a fork.
- Dump the masa mixture into the chili. Stir together well, and then taste and adjust the seasonings. Add more masa paste and/or water to get the chili to your preferred consistency, or to add more corn flavor.
- Add the beans and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with shredded Cheddar, chopped onions, tortilla chips and lime wedges.
This recipe first appeared on the Food Network.